Friday, November 20, 2009

Carson's Head CT

Carson had a head CT done today. His upper lip on the right side has always puffed up when he is sick or tired. I remember when he was just a couple weeks old seeing it but when I looked the next morning I thought maybe I was just crazy. Matt thought I was crazy too. But the older he got, the more I noticed it late at night. I mentioned this to his doctor and we decided to keep watching it. (I will try to find a picture that shows his lip swollen.)

Carson went for his 6 month well check this week and I told the doctor it was getting worse and worse. I now notice it during the day often and just wanted the him to know that it was happening. After a few minutes, the doctor decided we needed to check it out just to make sure nothing was going on that we were missing. So he scheduled a head CT at T.C. Thompson. I have to say I wasn't nervous about the test at all. The doctor told me he didn't think anything was wrong but would rather be safe. The most stressful part was that he couldn't eat for 4 hours before the test. That's hard for a 6 month old. So I woke him up at 5:30am and fed him. Then Pam, Carson and I went down to the hospital for his appointment at 9:45am. I thought he would cry a lot because he was hungry but he was an angel!!! They did one scan and then gave him a little IV and injected dye and then did another scan. The only time he cried was when they stuck him for the IV. I was able to stand right there with him and feed him his bottle while they were doing the scan. Then we got to go! It was easy. A lot better than I had worked up in my head! (I left my camera in the waiting room and so I only got this picture with my cell phone)


I got a call at about 4:30 this afternoon with the results. I was happy to hear that everything is completely normal on the scan. So I assume that the whole lip thing is kind of like a lazy eye. It doesn't seem to cause Carson any pain. I am anxious to talk to the doctor about what he thinks. But it's a relief to know that nothing is wrong. The funny part is we went through all that to find out that he has another ear infection! Looks like he is following in his sister's footsteps with the ear infections....

0 comments: